- On May 11, 2020
13 Ways to Create Balance
in our “New Normal” World
Director of Spa & Fitness,
The Spa at Auberge Beach, Fort Lauderdale
FSA Board of Directors – Board Chair
A “NEW BALANCE”
As the future begins to look brighter in weeks to come with hopes of re-opening our spa industry, I can’t help but wonder what a balanced life will look like for our “new normal”. I have always been a proponent of living a life of balance. But with all that has happened recently to change the world as we know it, I find myself wondering how we will redefine balance.
After weeks of sudden changes in most of our lives, we have experienced both the upside and downside of living a quarantined life. To me, the upside has been the slowing of life, enjoying quality time doing simple things, watching families ride bikes and seeing the neighborhood streets and sidewalks come alive again. The downsides are different for each person, and our hearts are filled with compassion for the hardships this virus has caused! Yet, our resilience to look at the upside has been impressive! Being the eternal optimist myself, I am always fulfilled by watching others turn adversity and hardships into opportunities. For many in our industry, whether furloughed, working from home or laid off, we have taken the opportunity to rebalance our lives. Spending newfound time doing more for yourself and catching up on long lost passions and projects has been eye opening. How did we not have time for these things before? And why did we get so off balance?
Perhaps during the quarantine, you exercise more, find yourself cooking healthier meals, or maybe you are overindulging and drinking an Aperol Spritz at 11:00am on a Zoom call just because! Maybe even a combination of both, like most of us! But once we return back to work and life gets hectic again, how can we ensure a healthy balance stays a top priority in our lives? Taking the balance, we enjoyed during these weeks of quarantine and weaving it into our new normal would be the ultimate “New Balance”.
13 TIPS FOR A BALANCED LIFE:
- STOP – Set a time you will stop working daily and stick to it! Your email will be waiting for you in the morning, bright and early.
- Sunday Set-Up – Every Sunday, write your weekly balance plan. If it’s not scheduled, it won’t happen!
- Movement – Whether you like to walk, run, weight train, cycle or dance like nobody’s watching, make a plan to give yourself 4 to 5 days a week of wellness. Do what you like and what makes you feel good, but more importantly, just move!
- Breathe – Just 5 minutes each morning of breathwork and meditation is all it takes to get in a sound mind and body.
- Eat – Take a moment and think about what you eat and how you eat it. Whether you follow Paleo, plant-based, Keto, or your grandma’s home cooking, make sure it’s benefiting you. What makes you feel great and healthy? Everyone has a different way they eat, bottom line: eat what makes you feel your best self. Stay away from foods that make you feel regretful because this is your body’s way of speaking to you.
- Connect – Take a moment to call or visit someone who lifts you up and who lights up when you connect! Maybe it’s calling mom more, or checking in with a friend that moved away, or just connecting with someone special because they make you smile. These little moments of connection fuel the soul.
- Green – Take time weekly to get into a green space and spend more time outdoors. A little vitamin D will do you some good.
- Give – Balance is also about what you can do for others. The simplest things count.
- Laugh – Scientifically proven to benefit you both physically and mentally. Reminisce on a moment that made you laugh so hard you cried.
- Learn – Stimulate your mind daily. Challenge yourself to actively learn something new every day.
- Time Management – Set your priorities and streamline anything that brings you down or is not the best use of your time. Schedule for success.
- Get Organized – Yes, I love to color coordinate, but find your own way to eliminate any clutter and stay organized. Reduce stress, save time and gain a sense of control.
- Love – Appreciation and gratitude to those you love as well as to love yourself is the ultimate balance!
MY HOPE IS FOR THIS TO BE OUR “NEW BALANCE”!