- On September 16, 2019
Zesty Kale and Sweet Potato Bowl
This loaded veggie bowl gets a touch of smoke from the chili-spiced sweet potatoes and roasted bell pepper and plenty of zing from fresh lime. Chili powder and lime also give toasted almonds an addictive crust; make extra and enjoy as a snack. Cotija cheese has a dry, crumbly texture—it won’t melt or disappear into the bowl. Use it to top tacos, stir into whole-grain salads, or top roasted broccoli.
- 1 pound diced peeled sweet potatoes (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, quartered
- 1/2 cup unsalted roasted almonds, chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated lime rind, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cups hot cooked quinoa
- 4 ounces baby kale, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 1 ounce Cotija cheese, crumbled (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 lime wedges
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Combine sweet potatoes, 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a bowl; toss. Arrange sweet potato mixture on one side of an aluminum foil–lined baking sheet. Place bell pepper on other side of pan; drizzle with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, and toss to coat. Bake until potatoes are tender and peppers are lightly charred, about 30 minutes, stirring potatoes once halfway through. Remove pan from oven. Cut bell pepper into strips.
Cook almonds in a small skillet over medium until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, 1/8 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon rind, and sugar; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute.
Whisk together remaining 5 teaspoons oil, remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, remaining 1 teaspoon rind, juice, and cilantro in a bowl. Divide quinoa among 4 bowls; top evenly with kale, sweet potatoes, and bell pepper. Drizzle with juice mixture; top evenly with coated almonds, Cotija, and avocado. Serve with lime wedges.
Active Time: 20 Mins Total Time: 40 Mins Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: about 2 cups)