- On March 11, 2019
Roasted Butternut Squash & Pear Quinoa Salad
- 3 cups diced peeled butternut squash ( ½-inch pieces)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 firm ripe pear, sliced into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup no-chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons pear vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Minced fresh red chili to taste
- 2 cups baby arugula
Prep Time 55 minutes Ready In 55 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss squash in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon oil, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and crushed red pepper. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes. Stir the squash, add pear and roast until browned and tender, about 15 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add ginger, garlic and turmeric; cook until sizzling, about 1 minute. Add quinoa and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook until the broth is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Stir in scallion and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and let cool.
- Whisk vinegar, onion, mustard, rosemary and chili in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Stir half the dressing into the quinoa. Add the pears and squash to the bowl with the remaining dressing; gently stir to coat. Let stand, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or refrigerate separately for up to 1 day.
- Fold arugula into the squash and pears and serve over the quinoa.