- On December 13, 2018
Vibrant Winter Kale Brussels Sprout Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- 10-12 Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 1 large navel orange
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts, toasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons orange juice (I squeezed 2 Clementine’s)
- Add all dressing ingredients to a blender or jar, and mix together well.
- De-stem kale, and then very thinly slice. Add to a salad bowl.
- Use a mandolin or food processor to very thinly slice Brussels sprouts, and add to the kale.
- Pour dressing over kale and sprouts, and massage in to completely coat, and then cover the salad and allow to soak for 4-5 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Peel butternut, cut into quarters lengthwise, and then thinly slice squash. Add to a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and lightly season with sea salt and black pepper.
- Roast squash for 25 minutes.
- Prepare pomegranate by removing arils.
- Prepare the orange by slicing the skin and pith off around the orange, then cutting out the segments.
- Thinly slice red cabbage.
- When ready to serve the salad, toss the red cabbage into the kale mixture, then top the salad with warm squash, pomegranate, oranges, and nuts.
Yields 8 servings
30 min Prep Time 25 min Cook Time
By: Michelle @ Vitamin Sunshine