Pasta with Clams in White Wine Garlic Sauce
Pasta with Clams in White Wine Garlic Sauce, a twist on the classic Spaghetti alle Vongole made with littleneck clams in a white wine garlic sauce.
- 8 ounces pasta, bucatini, fettuccine, etc.
- 1 generous pinch salt, for pasta boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole garlic cloves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 pound clams, soaked and cleaned
- 1 cup chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 1 pinch salt and pepper, to taste
- Boil pasta: Boil pasta in lightly salted water until al dente (slightly firm), about 8 minutes (or according to package instructions).
- Make white wine sauce: Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic cloves and cook 1-2 minutes, or until garlic gives off its strong aroma. Add white wine and cook until the liquid starts to boil, then add clams to the pan and sprinkle with red pepper flakes. Cook over medium heat until all of the clams open wide. If any clams do not open after 5-7 minutes, remove them to the trash.
- Add pasta and season: When pasta is done, reserve about 1/2 cup of pasta water and set aside. Then drain pasta and add to the pan with the clams and white wine sauce. Mix the pasta with the white wine and clams, adding a small amount of pasta water to the pan to help thicken the sauce. Cook 1-2 minutes and remove from heat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (to taste), add fresh chopped parsley, and a squeeze of fresh lemon before serving.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 35 mins