Quinoa Bowls with Avocado and Egg
This quick, satisfying breakfast is loaded with anti-inflammatory foods:
extra-virgin olive oil, avocado, tomatoes, quinoa, and omega-3 eggs.
We call for cooked quinoa here—a perfect use for leftovers.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup hot cooked tricolor quinoa
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup canned unsalted black beans, rinsed, drained, and warmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 large omega-3 eggs
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
How to Make It
Whisk together 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, vinegar, and dash of salt.
Combine quinoa, tomatoes, beans, cilantro, and 1/8 teaspoon salt; toss gently to combine. Divide mixture evenly between 2 bowls.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium. Add remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil; swirl to coat. Crack eggs, 1 at a time, into the pan. Cover; cook until whites are set and the yolk is still runny 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle dressing evenly over quinoa mixture; top with eggs and avocado. Sprinkle with the remaining dash of salt. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.
Active Time-15 Mins Total Time-15 Mins
Yield Serves 2 (serving size: about 2/3 cup quinoa mixture, 1 egg, and 1/4 avocado)
By Carolyn Williams, PhD, RD for CookingLight